What We’re Looking For:
In this role you’ll be responsible for implementing and maintaining Data Infrastructure across the entire 2U business, with a focus on the Executive Education portfolio. These systems and processes include, but are not limited to, Master Data Management, Data Virtualization, Data Visualization, Data Warehousing, and the data pipelines that connect them together. The candidate should be an experienced data professional and will provide guidance to Junior Data Engineers. The candidate should be driven, eager to learn new things and be willing to collaborate with colleagues on a continuous basis.
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To:
- Maintain all Data Systems (20%)
- Analyze requirements defined by business stakeholders in order to action point 3 (5%)
- Implement enhancements and new features across the following Data Systems (30%):
- Perform research (Innovate) and make recommendations on the above mentioned Data Systems (20%)
- Upskill across all of the technologies at 2U Cape Town (5%)
- Ensure Data Quality and Data Governance is in place across the whole Data Infrastructure (5%)
- Improve and help streamline processes within the Data Systems team based on guidance from Senior Data Engineer (5%)
- Provide guidance to Junior Data Engineers (5%)
- Adhere to internal Agile methodology, managing and maintaining relevant Jira (ticketing system) sprints and projects (5%)
Things That Should Be In Your Background:
- 4+ years experience in the Data industry
- Specific qualifications: A degree in Computer Science/Information Systems/Engineering preferred
- Be proficient in SQL to then implement where needed across our systems and pipelines
- PostgreSQL / MS SQL / MySQL / Python / R / Redshift/Apache Airflow
- Database design and database management
- Data analysis and business intelligence
- A sound understanding of data management principles including data quality assurance and data governance
- Source code and version control systems
- Master data management and the implementation and maintenance thereof
- Shipment of data using various methods such as ETL etc.
- Implementation of data visualisation systems/technologies
- AWS environments
Other Attributes That Will Help You In This Role:
- Clear and concise communication skills
- A desire to get things done in a fast paced environment
- Experience in working in an Agile environment
- Understand and be able to solve business related problems
- Experience in managing or coordinating technical resources
- Raise issues/stucks as they arise, identify impact and propose solutions
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
2U is comprised of 3 lines of business: Graduate Degree Programs, Short Course, and Boot Camps. Going beyond traditional learning management systems, we use tech, people, and data to help top universities and enterprise organizations transform in the digital era—and eliminate the back row in higher ed. We support lifelong learning which means thinking beyond a single degree. It means finding ways for students to gain the skills they need to change careers, evolve their expertise, and meet the challenges of the changing world head-on. We help our partners fill those needs—developing new digital education technologies and offerings capable of supporting students at different points in their lives. Whether they need a simple refresher, to learn something new, or to change their career trajectories completely, our partners are there to help them succeed. Together with our partners, 2U has positively transformed the lives of more than 275,000 students and lifelong learners.
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
2U is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion. Applicants from the previously disadvantaged groups and people with disabilities will be given preference.
Why It’s Great to Work at 2U
2U Cape Town offers a high-energy work environment that’s both challenging and fun. We work hard, but our offices are casual and social places. We wear jeans to work and fuel brainstorming sessions with coffee from our in-house barista. We have other in-house perks like subsidised healthy meals, a gym with free yoga sessions and social events all year round. We celebrate special milestones like birthdays and workaversaries, truly showing that #RelationshipsMatter.
2U Cape Town offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- 2 complimentary Getsmarter short courses per year
- Subsidised medical aid with Discovery
- 4% 2U contribution towards Discovery Life Pension Fund and Group Risk Benefit
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Generous leave policy including time off to volunteer for non-profit organizations
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits and pay.