ClassDojo’s goal is to accelerate humanity’s progress, by giving every child on Earth an education they love.
We started by building a network that connects teachers, children, and families. ClassDojo’s flagship app is the #1 communication app connecting K-8 teachers, children, and families, globally. They use it to share what’s happening throughout the day through photos, videos, messages, and activities. It is actively used at an unprecedented scale: in over 95% of US schools, reaching ~51 million children in ~180 countries, all built by a team of 65 people ). We are now beginning to use this network to give kids the best learning experiences in the world, far beyond those a standard school can provide.
We hire for talent density. Our team comprises the most talented, entrepreneurial, and innovative teammates from around the world, with deep backgrounds in education and large scale consumer internet, including Instagram, Netflix, Dropbox, Uber, Y Combinator, and more. We’re building a company where the most talented people want to work. We believe you’ll do the best work of your life here—and you’ll pioneer the future of education, too.
What you’ll do:
ClassDojo is looking for a technical lead to join our internal Game Studio and to help own our technical direction. We’re building a multi-user, multi-platform 3D world for kids aged 5-8 to create and play with their classmates. The game environment is procedurally generated and user-customizable. With millions of kids already active on the platform, the game is “live-by-default” – we work very iteratively and practice continuous delivery/deployment, with the ability to ship updates multiple times a week. But that doesn’t mean that we’re just chasing metrics; we work very closely with kids to find the fun, and with teachers to find the learning. We strive to build a game with heart, soul, and a point of view – because when those things are missing, kids notice.
You might be a good fit if:
- You have 7+ years of game development experience
- You have at least 2+ years of tech lead experience
- You have a track record for creating compelling games and playful experiences
- You have experience in OpenGL and/or WebGL
- You have past experience delivering 3D games for Mobile platforms, and experience working within the performance budgets of mobile games
- You have the ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams
- You have experience in a company with a high-quality culture
- You have a passion for games and ability to think out of the box — plus, having a strong instinct for what makes a great game.
- Experience with other backends (e.g. Vulkan/Metal/DirectX)
 Some more context:
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. In accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We are happy to accommodate any disabilities or special needs. We are a distributed company, so we hire regardless of location, as long as you are willing to have significant hours overlap with one of the Americas time zones.