We’re looking for aspiring software engineers from historically underrepresented communities and non-traditional backgrounds to participate in our paid, full-time, six-month apprentice program. Apprentices will develop their technical skills, gain industry experience, and grow their careers as software engineers, while helping us accomplish our mission to improve lives by learning from the experience of every cancer patient. Here’s what you need to know about the role, our team and why Flatiron Health is the right next step in your career.
What You’ll Do
In this role, you’ll work with a software engineering team to help oncologists spend more time with patients or empower scientists to conduct research faster. Reporting to a dedicated engineering manager, you’ll get exposure to hands-on software engineering and help us in our mission to build products that make a real impact. In addition, you’ll also:
- Be part of a team with skillful professional software engineers
- Deploy real production code
- Learn agile methodologies and tools for organizing software development
- Use testing to ensure code correctness and quality
- Work with product managers, scientists, doctors, designers, and QA teams to make sure we’re building the best products
We’re dedicated to providing you the time to learn and grow as a software engineer, mentorship and networking with our world-class team, and firsthand experience building software that makes a difference.
Who You Are
You’re a self-starter looking to launch a career as a software engineer. Flatiron greatly values diversity and inclusion, and we strongly encourage anyone from a historically underrepresented minority group to apply. This includes, but is not limited to: Black, Latinx, and Indigenous People. Graduates of coding bootcamps, self-taught coders, caregivers, veterans returning to the workforce, and/or people making a career switch are all eligible.
You’re excited by the prospect of rolling up your sleeves to tackle meaningful problems each and every day. You’re a kind, passionate and collaborative problem-solver who seeks and gives candid feedback, and values the chance to make an important impact.
- You are not currently employed as a Software Engineer
- You have life experience that sets you up to succeed in a collaborative, cross-functional environment
- You are ready to learn new technologies, build products and make a difference
Why You Should Join Our Team
A career at Flatiron is a chance to work with everyone involved in the future of cancer care and research—all under one roof. Researchers, data scientists, designers, clinicians, technologists and many more all work together to improve cancer care and accelerate research.
At Flatiron, we strive to build and maintain an environment where employees from all backgrounds are valued, respected and have the opportunity to succeed. You’ll also find a culture of continuous learning, broad and inclusive employee support offerings, and a commitment to supporting our team members in all aspects of their lives—at home, at work and everywhere in between. We offer:
- Flatiron University training curriculum which includes presentation skills, meeting mastery, coding languages and more
- Career coaching opportunities
- Hackathons for all employees (not just our engineers!)
- Work/life autonomy via flexible work hours and flexible paid time off
Flatiron Health is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.